EscapePod DEMO EscapePod DEMO

This is a solid puzzle game, well deserving 4 stars and the community's attention.

I would interpret the overall score (3.23 at the time of this review) of the game as a critique to the game's short length, instead of the quality of the game itself. Maybe if you include the world 'demo' in the title or in the begging of the description, people would be less harsh with respect to the game's current length.

Awaiting the complete version! Good Luck :)

whywhygames responds:

thanks for the compliments and the tip :)
it's really encouraging to read.
I think we should actually change the name if it's possible.
we hope to get the full version soon.

Forest-Globe Forest-Globe

A very good attempt! The atmosphere and the sound were really good, and the game was quite enjoyable. The three game modes also increase the time to be spent here. Here are some thoughts on what could be improved:

1. I enjoyed the art style, however there are a few improvements that you can make. If you are going to use flat shading on your models, I suggest turning off specularity (that way they will look less fake) and keeping your polygons more evenly distributed along models. Especially in some trees it seemed to me that parts of the model had unevenly shaped polygons.

2. I liked the rain effect a lot, and it suited the mood of the game. However, it might need some tweaking - increasing the fall speed and scaling the particles in the vertical axis could improve it.

3. Consider attaching some obvious sound effect in the enemy, otherwise it is not clear when they appear and when they approach. I was killed more than once by an enemy simply because I was oblivious to its existence.

4. This is completely a matter of taste, but using your skydome as the limit of the walkable level seemed a little unimmersive. I would suggest using either an invisible wall or (even better) shaping the terrain in a way that creates a natural "unpassable" border, and then enlarging the skydome a bit. Again, this is a matter of personal preference, but it would make the scene appear more "natural" and less forced.

All in all, I enjoyed the game! Keep going!

Feather-studios responds:

First of all, thank you for your elaborate feedback!
Turning off specularity! Never thought of that, thanks!
Indeed the multi colored three is a bit ugly.
The rain seemed realistic to me, but maybe a bit slow indeed.
I am thinking about adding a red circle/arrow so you know where the enemy is. And I really don't know what sound my enemy should make. So I stuck with the rock sound, I think it suits it well.
I understand that the art style is a bit different, than other games. But it is called Forest GLOBE for a reason; you really must feel like you are in a snow globe. So removing the dome will make it more immersive but it wouldn't fit in my game.
And of course I will continue, maybe with an app next time...

Jewel Connect Jewel Connect

At the level 5, I was left with 1 jewel that did not have a pair. Was that intensional or an oversight?
Apart from that, the game was solid if a bit unoriginal, the background music was very good and it had a satisfying duration (not too long, not too short).

Save The Maiden Game/App Save The Maiden Game/App

I am afraid I agree with Marbles23. You should at least have mentioned the name of the original game, which was in fact (in my humble opinion) one of the top RPG games of its time.

adammartin responds:

Credit in Easter Eggs of the app version (The 8th Day, Core, Gamesmaster, Gamesworld), couldn't name it Heimdall (The app version on Google Play) and I agree with you is was a top RPG-I just wanted to make it as there were no app versions about and I made it as a b'day present for a friend, hence the VWP letters hidden in the game (App version), thought I did a good job-maybe I've hidden things too well and sorry to offend peeps...

Game Experiment: Gamma Game Experiment: Gamma

This is a really exciting concept and I would be very interested in the results of your survey. However, care must be taken so as to not misinterpret the results.

For example, the aggressive-or-not word association is also dependent on a gamer's general entertainment profile, which includes movies, books and other concept-intake methods. Especially the example of "kiss-kill" made me think that the standard male of age 18-38 will probably write "kill" rather than "kiss", for many social causes other than gaming (e.g., gender stereotypes). I am certain you have ways to account for that, but I thought I should point it out :)

With respect to the game, although the FPS part is rather concrete for the purposes of your study, I am concerned whether it might be a little to "abstract" to actually cause the ammount of immersion you might need for a direct psychological impact. This is, of course, also dependent on the player, so I suppose you can control for that by using the questionaire in the beggining, but a few more questions might be in order. For example, I am not used in playing FPS games, so I probably got more "anxious" than a player of my age that mainly plays FPS games, so a question related to the game genre of choice might be in order (unless you can infer it from the rest of the results).

I was very happy to see this attempt and hope your research gives you some insights!

SkyRider & the Journey to the AirCitadel SkyRider & the Journey to the AirCitadel

This game, having an enormous amount of work and love put into it, gets a score of 3.40, while the front page is crowded with mindless idle games.

I understand that this is not a review, but I needed to express my support of your creative energy, and hope that you will not get discouraged by Newgrounds' childish reception of your work.

MagicGuiso responds:

Thanks for your kind words, Navaak, we trully appreciate them and it's true: we're putting all our love and energy into the game!

Cuber Cuber

Greetings and congratulations on your first game! Here are some comments:

1. Generally speaking, the game was enjoyable and had a nice atmosphere. It was quite short, but this is not necessarily a bad thing, since many people do not have a lot of time.

2. With respect to visual aspects of the game, the different assets did not quite fit with each other. For example, the main character and the torches gave the impression of being in 3D, while the walls and boxes seemed flat. A quick way to fix this would be to add normal maps to the walls and boxes, to give the impression of depth. Also, the torches were too detailed compared to the other things and seemed strange, consider replacing them with something less detailed.

3. The level design was good. Levels were easy, and I would expect a few more stages with a little harder levels. Of course, this is a matter of how much time you have :)

4. I really liked the cloud platforms, it was a good addition and I would like to see more of that.

5. A couple of other things that could be fixed are: (i) the music should not restart when the character dies, (ii) there should be a restart button (in at least one stage you can get stuck if the box gets too close to the wall).

Overall, it was a good first attempt. Keep improving!

Ragnarok: Iridescent Ragnarok: Iridescent

It was quite refreshing and satisfying. I can barely review this without spoiling it for everybody, so I will just say that the mechanics you used to tell the story (perhaps your story as well?) were very... effective.

ShadowWhoWalks responds:

not at all senor;
in Ragnarok: Iridescent Transcendence, players have the freedom and tools to make their own choices.

With six different classes and hundreds of perks and traits, each playthrough is a different experience; a combat-oriented swordsman may choose to get his hands dirty at the foe, but a stealthy and observant archer may be able lead enemies around before he commits to a decision, he may even diplomatically let the boss escort him out of the dungeon, depending on the attribute allocation to his INT and LUK.

Anything is possible in the realm of Ragnarok: Iridescent Transcendence.

Greenie 2 Greenie 2

I can barely imagine a puzzle platformer making better use of its own mechanics. It is a wonderfully hardcore experience... usually when I rage quit, I rate 1 or 2 stars. At this case I rage quitted twice and gave you 5 stars both times, because the effort you put into the game and the cleverness of the puzzle-making process was always apparent to me. What a delightful bastard you are, sir.

Letmethink2 responds:

Haha. Thanks!

juxtapose juxtapose

I find the current rating of this game (3.37) really unfair, when the average idle game in the front page achieves a score of 4 or more. This game was a very interesting journey and it was very balance in terms of difficulty, time spent, and narrative.Then again, all your games are given similar love and the result shows, so I will have to suppose that they simply aren't for everyone. Judging by the majority of the reviews, however, the people that DO play your games, enjoy them thouroughly.

So thank you for the journey, and keep up the good work!

Zillix responds:

Thanks for the kind words! I do a lot of experimental stuff that not everyone likes, so it's always great to hear from someone who enjoyed it :)